Quebec City, monday, January 16, 2017 – Work is now well underway to set up the big air structure downtown at L’Îlot Fleurie — a sure sign that the Jamboree presented by Vidéotron Mobile is raring to go! This 12th edition of the event runs February 9–12, 2017. With less than a month to go until the competition begins, crews are hard at work to slot everything into place for the FIS Big Air World Cup presented by Nexen. Snowboarders won’t be the only ones ripping their way down the impressive structure this year, as the event proudly plays host to Canada’s first-ever FIS Freestyle Ski World Cup Big Air event this year. And that’s not all — the Jamboree is also hosting the FIS Snowboard and Freestyle Ski World Cups at Stoneham Mountain Resort.
About the FIS Big Air World Cup
- 9th edition of the Big Air at L’Îlot Fleurie in downtown Quebec City (started in 2009)
- The biggest Big Air in Canada
- About as natural as a Big Air ramp can be
- One of the only Big Airs on the World Cup tour integrating the natural environment into the ramp structure, so less scaffolding is needed
- 40 metres (131 feet) high and 91 metres (300 feet) long
- Start ramp 6.1 metres (20 feet) wide
- Jump 3.6 metres (12 feet) high, 6.1 metres (20 feet) wide and 12.40 metres (41 feet) long
- 250,000 lbs = weight of the structure, not including snow
- 10,000 cubic feet of snow needed for the structure
- Crew of more than 50 people hard at work for 10 weeksBy February 7, all the construction, snow coverage and site setup work will be complete, giving athletes the opportunity to train ahead of the grand final on Saturday, February 11 and spectators the chance to enjoy four days of Jamboree festivities. Not to mention the preparations for the slopestyle course in Stoneham which will start on 26 January!
See all programming information online at: snowjamboree.com
About the 2017 Jamboree
Shining the spotlight on snow sports in Quebec City and Stoneham, the Jamboree has hosted the FIS Snowboard World Cup every year since 2005. This year’s Jamboree runs February 9–12, 2017, marking the 18th year of Snowboard World Cup events in Quebec. For the occasion, the event will showcase not only the FIS Snowboard Big Air and Slopestyle World Cups, but also add Freestyle Ski World Cup competitions to the mix for the first time ever. The Quebec Winter Events Corporation has tasked Gestev with organizing this prestigious world-class happening. Gestev is a leading-edge company that has specialized in organizing sporting and cultural events in the Quebec City area since 1992 and has earned BNQ 9700-253 certification for responsible event management.
Videotron (www.videotron.com), a wholly owned subsidiary of Quebecor Media Inc., is an integrated communications company engaged in cable television, interactive multimedia development, Internet access, cable telephone and mobile telephone services. Videotron is a leader in new technologies with its illico interactive television service and its broadband network, which supports high-speed cable Internet access, analog and digital cable television, and other services. As of September 30, 2016, Videotron was serving 1,695,700 cable television customers, including 1,570,800 Digital TV subscribers. Videotron is also the Québec leader in high-speed Internet access, with 1,596,100 subscribers to its cable service as of September 30, 2016. As of the same date, Videotron had 867,700 subscriber connections to its mobile telephone service and was providing cable telephone service to 1,265,100 Québec households and organizations. For the eleventh consecutive year, Videotron was ranked as Québec’s most respected telecommunications company in the annual Léger survey.
Founded in 1992, Gestev is a dynamic event management company specialized in sports and cultural events. Over the years, Gestev has raised event management standards by adding a party twist to high-calibre competitions, including music shows and live entertainment, while making competitions accessible to all. Jamboree, Red Bull Crashed Ice, Transat Québec Saint-Malo, Sprint Québec, and Vélirium are just a few Gestev events. Gestev also manages Baie de Beauport and is a certified responsible event manager (BNQ 9700-253).